17 March 2007

A St. Patrick's Day Tribute: pick your favorite work by or about James Joyce.

Happy St. Patty's Day, friends. (And, of course, a warm happy birthday to my Grandpa Lee, 1908 - 1999.) To help get us all in the appropriate spirit, I thought I'd share my favorite work about James Joyce, but feel free to jump in with your favorite picks by the infamous Dubliner, too.


I pick the ultra-sexy film, Nora (2000, directed by Pat Murphy, starring Susan Lynch and Ewan McGregor), that explores the intensely emotional and provocative relationship between James and Nora Joyce. I found it sexy enough reading Joyce's work before seeing the film; after seeing it, you'll never be able to read his stuff without conjuring up steamy images of the fiery McGregor and Lynch . . . mmm, yummy.


Really, need I say more? Yowsa!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent idea! I would like to nominate Brenda Maddox's biography of the long-suffering Norah. Especially the section dealing with the infamous "dirty letters" exchanged between the two (see pp. 139-147). Oh, Nora, you wily temptress! Oh, James, you anally-fixated rogue! If only my 10th grade english teacher had given us these to read instead of Dubliners. Funny and filthy, always an unbeatable combination. Find them. Read them. Put them in your underpants. James and Nora did. Toodles.

David